Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Don't Eat This - But It Cleans Bottles Like A Champ!

A while ago, I was looking for something to clean a bottle in which I mix salad dressing. While I love to use the whisk to emulsify a vinaigrette, sometimes I make 2 to 3 times what I'll need and store the remainder in the refrigerator. I eat a lot of salads. I have a bottle with a wide mouth and a screw-top cap. (Note from the "I learned so you don't have to." school of life. Make sure the cap is on securely before you start to shake it).

Over time, even though I washed it regularly and even used a bottle brush, vinegar gunk built up on the inside - I think mainly from balsamic. I started spelunking the interwebs and ran across a post somewhere recommending Efferdent to clean metal, ceramic or glass containers.

Rinse any container VERY thoroughly with hot water
to get rid of the "minty fresh" aroma after you clean it with Efferdent.
Yes, I said "Efferdent".  I bought a package. I really wanted to blurt out, "I'm not using this because I have dentures!" as I went through the checkout line.

I tried it on both the salad dressing bottle and my travel mug (with a metal interior lining) and it worked beautifully - like magic. I wouldn't use it on plastic but I've used it on metal and glass containers.

This morning I wanted to wash out a swingtop bottle that had held a homemade cranberry liqueur. As before, it worked beautifully and in about 15 minutes I had a completely clean (and somewhat minty fresh) bottle.

When whatever-it-is-that-makes-it-work has finished, the water will be clear (about 15 minutes). In this case, I emptied out a little of the water, covered the opening with one hand and shook it up to dislodge the last bits of gunk from the sides and then rinsed it several times with very hot water.

No comments: