Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Roasted Radishes: Good News/Bad News

"RUN! RUN BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!
My kingdom for opposable thumbs!  Or legs!"
(Yes, these are the radishes speaking)
Good news: I really liked the greens.

Bad news: Roasted radishes remind me of roasted chunks of zucchini and do not even taste like radishes.

Do not want.

I did some research and pulled the recipe from a trusted source - still trusted - but figure this is a "chacun à son goût" difference of taste.

My advice is, don't throw your radish greens out - sauteing or roasting the greens is a good idea. Leave your radishes in the crisper and eat them raw - or pickle them.  If I ever do this again, I'll crank up the heat and just cook them long enough for some color, sauteing the greens separately - or I'll roast the greens 'til just crispy (they were very good!). The likelihood of me roasting radishes again is - oh - somewhere around exactly "hell no".

If you want to give this a shot, go for it. Believe me, I'd love to find out I was doing this wrong as my love of roasted things knows no bounds. In the mean time, I'm going to dream of sliced breakfast radishes on a baguette spread with sweet butter and sprinkled with sea salt.



"It's too late for us, but at least we're together"
Roasted Radishes with their Greens

Serves 4 as a side.
Oven: 350 F

Ingredients:
  • 2 bunches of radishes, cleaned and halved
  • Leaves from the two bunches, thoroughly washed - as many times as necessary to get ride of any soil and dry in a salad spinner or by employing the whirling towel method.
  •  2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • Salt - about 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste.

  • Black pepper to taste
Method:

Preheat the oven with the rack in the middle.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil - leave it bare if you like washing stuff - and lightly brush with some of the olive oil.

Toss the radishes and greens with the remaining olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and toss.

Turn the radishes and greens onto the prepared backing sheet.  Roast for 10 minutes and remove the greens - the edges should be crispy.  Continue to roast for another 5 minutes.

1 comment:

Missconsin said...

"chacun à son goût"? To each his own (taste)? I like it!
I've also experienced the pain of failed recipes from "trusted" sources. There is a small sense of betrayal but then usually I realize that is was my fault for trying to free-style it halfway through the recipe.