Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Review - Kitchen Calculator App

I was a music major and had to take, "Math for Music Majors".  No, that's not a class that marries math with music.  It was a class for music majors who didn't give a rat's ass about anything other than music (me) and (historically) had the attention span of a bivalve (just guessing here about the attention span of a bivalve) for math and science classes (also me).

When I need to convert units when cooking, it's not something I'm going to be able to do in my head. Ever. Ergo, it is handy to have a helper just waiting to do my bidding.  I have no idea where or how I found this app, but I use it enough to rate it as "Worth the $".

Publisher: Forward Leap, LLC
Price on review date: $2.99
Runs on: iPod and iPhone
My Rating: Worth the $


In addition to the ability to convert by weight, volume, temperature and  dimension, there is a calculator (+/-), a quick start guide (?) and a settings button (check mark), which allows you to select US or UK units.

 Note: the vendor has a new(ish) app: Kitchen Calculator Pro that includes the ability to:
  • scale recipes;
  • convert ingredients from weight to volume (cups to grams, ounces, etc.)
  • display results in standard cooking fractions
  • 'grow' a database of ingredients, based on the built-in database of common ingredients from the USDA.
Am I going to shell out the $3.99 for the 'Pro' version?  Probably not, although the weight-to-volume (and vice versa) feature is attractive. It's annoying that I cannot pay an upgrade price instead of having to re-pay for the features I already have.

No comments: