No cream, no aromatics, no bacon, no cheese (gasp!). Corn, butter, salt. and pepper. Eat it and be happy.
- 6 ears fresh corn
- 2 tsp kosher salt (1 tsp iodized salt)
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter + more for greasing the baking dish
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt (a small pinch iodized salt) for the top
- Pepper to taste
- Box grater or corn creamer
- A big, wide bowl in which to grate the corn
- 8" square baking dish, greased with butter (compare the a volume of corn to the volume of your baking dish before greasing it - use a smaller or larger size baking dish as necessary)
- Preheat oven to 400 F (204 C)
- Using the box grater, remove the meat and juices from each of the ears working very close to the cob - you want this to be very mushy and milky. For me, cutting the ears in half makes them easier to handle. Once you have finished the corn, season with salt and pepper, tasting the mixture.
- Pour the corn mixture into the baking pan. Smooth out the top and dot with butter. Sprinkle the top with the additional salt.
- Bake on the middle rack at 400 F uncovered for 45-50 minutes (start checking it at 40 minutes), or until the top is golden brown around the sides and the corn is bubbling. Remove from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes before serving.